Monday, April 2, 2012

Quotation of the Week

Every week, I’ll put up a quotation related to writing or creation and tell you a little bit about the person who said it.  I’ll try to vary the speakers as much as possible.

"Justice to my readers compels me to admit that I write because I have nothing to do; justice to myself induces me to add that I will cease to write the moment I have nothing to say." - Charles Caleb Colton

Colton was an English writer, as well as a cleric.  In 1828, he left the church, and was believed to be running from creditors.  He spent some time in the US, then settled in Paris, France, where he accumulated and subsequently lost a fortune, both through means of gambling.  His literary work included collections of aphorisms (much of which is still used in quotation books today) and Lacon, or Many Things in Few Words, addressed to those who think..

No comments:

Post a Comment