Monday, July 25, 2011

Crafting a Story : Title and Results

12 weeks ago, I started this whole thing.  For those who don’t know, I decided to create a story by using words from a random word generator to inspire each of the main components of a story (protagonist, antagonist, etc.) and then derived the story from that.

Finally, I came up with this as a high concept which describes my story:

A man unknowingly gets involved with the girlfriend of a robber he killed, causing the robber’s vengeful ghost to return.

All in all, I’m quite happy with the result.  I don’t know how well it’ll do in practice, but I think I got all the kinks worked out.  The important part here is that I have a finished story premise after twelve steps of which five are simply paragraphs derived from random words.

I said that I would give the story a title, so here goes.

Titles often have something to do with an important point early on in the story that shapes the rest, so let’s start there and see if anything good comes up.  Also, I want to show the supernatural element in the title if I can.

The inciting incident is when our protagonist gets involved with the antagonist’s girlfriend.  A Ghost Who Lost Life and Love.  The ghost that lost first his life, then his love.  But it sounds a bit clunky.  I think I’ll go a bit further into the story.  A Familiar Face.  It doesn’t convey the supernatural element, but it has a nice ring to it, and sort of foreshadows that the ghost is someone they know, so I think I’ll keep it.

I don’t think I’ll be writing this story any time soon, but it is quite solid, so I might take a shot at it eventually.  As far as I’m concerned, this experiment was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment