Monday, May 2, 2011

Crafting a Story

I’m going to replace my usual Monday entry with another series of posts. It’s going to be about crafting a longer story out of its main components, and using random words that I will get here as inspiration for each of the points. Maybe (okay, probably) it will fail, but I’d like to see what we (yes, that includes anyone reading this) can do to make it work.

First up, though, is to break down a story in its essential parts.

Here is everything I can think of at this point:

Inciting incident (the event that changes everything for the protagonist)
Catalyst (the thing that allows or helps the inciting incident to happen)
Theme

Of all these, I think we’ll have to leave theme out of the random word generator and rather deduce it in the end.
A secondary character might be useful but is not necessary for a story to be a story.

If you can think of anything else that is essential to a story, please share it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment